Thursday 22 March 2007

Knowing thy self


Last night, I helped a friend do an online personality profile as part of a job application. I was so intrigued by the process, that first thing this morning, I did the same test. Would the 200 plus questions tell me anything interesting about myself? Would they illuminate my present impasse in my life, and the sensation that I want to do more but cannot quite figure out how? So I took the test...and here are my results:

________________________________________________________
In Terms of Your Style & Strength of Various Motivations
You would be described as being motivated primarily by a genuine concern for the well-being and needs of others. People would see you as quite calm, steady, unhurried, predictable, stable and cooperative. Given an opportunity to focus your efforts on the achievement of some meaningful and perhaps demanding, long term 'people-oriented' goals, you could become a very loyal, dependable and dedicated member of the team delivering the product or service. Generally your motivational pattern will produce the greatest personal satisfaction and your best performance in positions requiring ongoing commitment to goals which you feel have real merit in alleviating the distress or adding to the quality of life of the people who receive the results of your efforts.


To see the rest of my profile, go to my To Be Continued blog...


I have to say, I am pretty astounded. In my opinion, the test pretty much describes me perfectly. It's kind of scary that a few minutes with an online test can so accurately pin down my motivation, my needs, and my weaknesses.

The question now is what will I do with this information? It does explain some of my discontent with my present job...it also explains why I love it.

Now I wonder how close the profile is to the way others who know me well see me. Is it an accurate description of the persona I project? Or is my external expression something entirely different?