Tuesday 18 March 2008

One man auctioning off his life -- what would yours be worth?

A man is Australia is literally actioning off his life. His home, his car, his possessions, indeed even his friends and job. Man auctions his life | Oddly Enough | Reuters

Reading about his choice -- one made following a bad divorce -- I began to wonder what my life would be worth on e-Bay. But I immediately ran into a problem. My life -- the only things of value in my life -- are my children, my soulmate, my health and my faith. None of them have an e-Bay value.

Once upon a time, I did have a life that I wanted to leave behind. Also connected with a bad marriage. But aside from the house, which was sold and the money divided, I gave much of that life away -- furniture and clothing to friends, neighbors, charities, recycling. Dishes and household items as well. Gone. Left behind.

Maybe I missed the chance for a more memorable and dramatic exit. A public auction of a poor choice on e-Bay. So Ian Usher, I tip my hat to you!

I hope your sale is a symbolic and actual new start for you. Only wish I'd thought of it first!

3 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

A very nice photo.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Auctioning life? Is the world back on the path to the days of slavery?

When I read about sports star being sold from one club to another, it really reminds me of slavery, although now it has become more glamorous :-)

Unknown said...

That idea of slavery is what I thought of when I saw the headline too...but it;s just the items that made up his life. thank goodness!