Friday, 12 September 2008
10 reasons for raising a vegetarian child
Ever since the moment I announced that I would be raising my children as vegetarians, I've gotten grief from other people. It would make them sick. They would be short. They would feel left out.
My youngest is now 10, and after all these years, it seems appropriate to finally list the 10 best reasons for raising vegetarian kids!
10) They will never fall into the Supersizing trap at McDonald's or Burger King.
9) You will never have to feed them that nasty grey paste they claim is meat baby food.
8) They will get sick less than their meat eating classmates. They will need less doctor visits and less antibiotics. But no one will admit is has anything to do with diet!
7) They will not be contributing to the destruction of the environment -- grazing destroys 9 times more land than growing produce, for 1/10 of the food produced.
6) They will be leaner than their meat eating peers, a significant benefit given the growing rate of childhood obesity.
5) The grocery bill will be lower...veggies cost less than meat
4) They will have less than one half the risk of diabetes or hypertension compared to lifetime meat eaters
3) They will have a 70% lower rate of cancer in their lifetime
2) They will not be exposed to dangerous growth hormones and bovine antibiotics.
1) And best of all, they will grow up respecting the gift of life and understanding how very precious that is. "It tastes good" will never strike them as a good enough reason to kill living beings.