Saturday 4 September 2010

What makes you want to play?


A couple of months ago, we adopted a puppy.  She's a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Boxer mix, and she loves to play. For Maya, anything can be a toy...a stray sock, a milk bottle lid, a carelessly dropped pencil.  We spend a lot of time getting things away from her, and substituting the right chew toys.

But there are a couple of toys that always spark that "Let's play!" attitude in this 50 pound, 8 month old pup, and one of her favorites is a set of interlocked rubber rings. All she has to do is see that toy in our hands, and it's instant playtime.

So that started me thinking...what makes it instant playtime for me?  What transcends the mood of the moment, and just shifts gears for me?  What does that for you?

For me, it's:

  • Scrapbook stores - spot one, and I am instantly ready to play with paper and pictures!
  • Taking a wrong turn onto an interesting street -- I go into explorer mode, and as my kids can attest, the result is usually a fun discovery or two.
  • Windy days, especially cool windy days.  Especially cool windy days in autumn. I want to get outside and play as soon as I feel it! 
So what about you?  What triggers your playful spirit?  

Happy Pink Saturday!

No comments: